thrift-user mailing list archives

From "Christian, Daniel" <Daniel.Christ...@Honeywell.com>
Subject RE: How to have a server manage sub-processes?
Date Mon, 30 Jan 2012 15:46:28 GMT
I didn't see any supported way to add my file descriptors to thrift, get thrift to (non-destructively)
timeout from read, or export thrift file descriptors to an external select/poll (the latter
seems possible, it just doesn't look "supported").

Am I missing something?  I'm new to thrift, so I'm still learning about it.

-Dan

-----Original Message-----
From: Rush Manbert [mailto:rush@manbert.com]
Sent: Saturday, January 28, 2012 11:06 AM
To: user@thrift.apache.org
Subject: Re: How to have a server manage sub-processes?

Hi Dan,

Unless I have missed something since we froze the Thrift version we use, this really has nothing
to do with Thrift. Thrift uses posix to implement its internal scheduler, but you are not
limited by that at all. (You certainly don't need to use the Thrift scheduler.) We use boost
threads in our code.

- Rush

On Jan 27, 2012, at 1:11 PM, Christian, Daniel wrote:

> My server process needs to spawn some sub processes and interact with them occasionally
over stdin/stdout (and notice if they die).