thrift-user mailing list archives

From Rush Manbert <r...@manbert.com>
Subject Re: Compilation error on Mac OSX / C++ template
Date Thu, 20 Sep 2012 16:37:16 GMT
On Sep 19, 2012, at 12:46 AM, christophe.baranger@gmail.com wrote:

> Hello,
>
> When compiling the thrift template on OSX, I end up with the following error :
>
> ......../thrift/concurrency/BoostThreadFactory.cpp:102:11: error: no viable conversion
from 'boost::thread::id' to 'Thread::id_t' (aka 'unsigned long long')
>          return thread_.get() ? thread_->get_id() : boost::thread::id();
>
> I test the compilation process with 0.8 / 0.9 / and dev brach without success. I pretty
sure it is an error on my side, but I have no idea which one. The boost library I used is
from the mac port repository.

> Thanks for your help,
> Regards,
> Christophe.

Hi Christophe,

I hoped someone with knowledge of the current implementation would respond, but since that
hasn't happened, I'll tell you what I know about this.

When I wrote my implementation that used Boost::thread, I had to write this function as part
of  a BthreadThread class that inherited from Thread:

  Thread::id_t getId() {
    // The Boost::thread implementation returns a thread_id class.
    // This is the only way to extract the actual value it carries, which is what a Thread::id_t
    // wants to be. In their Windows implementation, get_id() just returns an int, so we wouldn't
    // need this junk.
    std::stringstream ios;
    // This needs to be a pointer because on a *nix system, this_thread::get_id()
    // returns an object that defines operator<< to write the pthread_t to the stream,
    // and it's a pointer, so it gets formatted as hex and we can't change that by
    // inserting a dec manipulator. So when we read out of the stream, we need to
    // read into something for which a hex format makes sense.
    void *numericId;

    // If this is called before start(), we're hosed
    assert (bthread_);

    ios << bthread_->get_id();
    ios >> numericId;
    // And, of course, static_cast can't be used to convert from void* to the integer type.
    return (Thread::id_t)numericId;
  }

But that's about all I can tell you.

- Rush