thrift-user mailing list archives

From Billy Charlton <sfbi...@gmail.com>
Subject Trying to building Thrift 0.9.0 with MinGW64 on Windows
Date Wed, 14 Nov 2012 21:57:40 GMT
I've been struggling to build Thrift 0.9.0 on Windows 7 (64bit) using the
MinGW64 toolchain. I understand this is not a fully supported platform, but
since Windows is supported, 64bit is supported, and GNU compilers are
supported, I figured I would try to combine all three :-)

I have read every web page that Google reveals on building Thrift for
Windows, but this combination of platforms and compilers seems problematic.
So, here are a few questions, if anyone out there has some experience with
this:

1) Does it matter which version of GCC I use to build?  I've tried 4.7 but
it doesn't work well with older versions of Boost; I'm currently using 4.5.

2) Is there a preferred version of the Boost threading library that works
best with Thrift? I've tried Boost 1.51, 1.40, 1.43... but no matter which
version I use, even if I can compile Boost itself I then get many errors
building Thrift.

3) Specific error messages during build point to problems with type
"pthread_t" not being found.  If I configure Thrift with
"--enable-boostthreads" I thought it would not use that because of macros
which define USE_BOOST_THREAD.  But apparently that's not getting defined?
 I can provide more details on the error logs if someone wants to hear
about it.

If I can get this to compile successfully I will definitely document my
findings recipe-style so that others can benefit from this work.

Cheers,
Billy