thrift-user mailing list archives

From "Knick, Scott E CTR USARMY RCERT-EUR (US)" <scott.e.knick....@mail.mil>
Subject RE: Trying to building Thrift 0.9.0 with MinGW64 on Windows (UNCLASSIFIED)
Date Thu, 15 Nov 2012 08:19:52 GMT
Classification: UNCLASSIFIED
Caveats: FOUO

I can't answer all of your questions and can only contribute a small bit, but for #2, be aware
that I've successfully compiled Thrift against Boost 1.48 and later. Not sure about the earlier
variants though.

Good luck!

-----Original Message-----
From: Billy Charlton [mailto:sfbilly@gmail.com]
Sent: Wednesday, November 14, 2012 10:58 PM
To: user@thrift.apache.org
Subject: Trying to building Thrift 0.9.0 with MinGW64 on Windows

I've been struggling to build Thrift 0.9.0 on Windows 7 (64bit) using the
MinGW64 toolchain. I understand this is not a fully supported platform, but since Windows
is supported, 64bit is supported, and GNU compilers are supported, I figured I would try to
combine all three :-)

I have read every web page that Google reveals on building Thrift for Windows, but this combination
of platforms and compilers seems problematic.
So, here are a few questions, if anyone out there has some experience with
this:

1) Does it matter which version of GCC I use to build?  I've tried 4.7 but it doesn't work
well with older versions of Boost; I'm currently using 4.5.

2) Is there a preferred version of the Boost threading library that works best with Thrift?
I've tried Boost 1.51, 1.40, 1.43... but no matter which version I use, even if I can compile
Boost itself I then get many errors building Thrift.

3) Specific error messages during build point to problems with type "pthread_t" not being
found.  If I configure Thrift with "--enable-boostthreads" I thought it would not use that
because of macros which define USE_BOOST_THREAD.  But apparently that's not getting defined?
 I can provide more details on the error logs if someone wants to hear about it.

If I can get this to compile successfully I will definitely document my findings recipe-style
so that others can benefit from this work.

Cheers,
Billy