thrift-user mailing list archives

From Ben Craig <ben.cr...@ni.com>
Subject RE: Question about Multithreaded Thrift Servers
Date Fri, 05 Apr 2013 20:34:48 GMT
Are you running out of ports / file descriptors?  I have attempted to
write performance tests in the past that stressed connect / disconnect,
and I have routinely run into the problem of exhausting ports.  This isn't
because I failed to call close, but because "closing" a socket doesn't
immediately free up the resources in the TCP/IP stack.  It typically takes
a few minutes for those resources to be freed.

From:   "Napolitano, Diane" <dnapolitano@ets.org>
To:     "user@thrift.apache.org" <user@thrift.apache.org>,
Date:   04/05/2013 03:32 PM
Subject:        RE: Question about Multithreaded Thrift Servers

Hmm, interesting.  These requests are actually clients, several thousands
of them actually :) , calling methods on the server.  We have a cluster
setup here, and I have one cluster job that is the server, and several
thousand cluster jobs that are each one client, or one request to the
server.

So, hmm.

Thanks,
Diane