thrift-user mailing list archives

From Will Pierce <wi...@nuclei.com>
Subject Re: Introspection of thrift enums in Python
Date Mon, 03 Jun 2013 14:32:15 GMT
Hi James,

Sorry I should have read more carefully.  You're absolutely right.  The
thrift_spec class attribute uses TType.I32, so there's no reference back to
the generated enum class.

It's interesting that the client-code I've seen so far with enums
essentially hard-codes the relationship between a field using enums and the
enum class.  This is definitely a deficiency for writing good, clean client
code.

Until enums from PEP435 <http://www.python.org/dev/peps/pep-0435/> (and
python 3.4+) is available/practical/deployable, then I'm sure your patches
will be welcome to help get around this!

As a personal preference, it would be really nice if your patch could
enhance thrift enums in python so that they emulate the behavior of PEP435
enums.  That would reduce learning curves and simplify future development,
if/when we eventually add targetting of python3.4+ to the thrift compiler.

-Will