thrift-user mailing list archives

From Jens Geyer <jensge...@hotmail.com>
Subject AW: some questions about commit f509df9c969f71d360e7c1394d0d73cb6ab9955c
Date Wed, 24 Jul 2013 09:07:44 GMT
Hi,

there's one simple reason: all integers in Thrift are signed by design. Therefore byte was
inconsistent and wrong, sbyte is correct.

I can't reproduce any problems with the generated code. If you refer to existing program code
of yours that is going to be linked against newly generated code now which uses sbyte: Yes,
I'm fully aware of the fact that it is a breaking fix, but nevertheless it is a fix of wrong
behaviour.

What exactly means "I have to"? I hardly can't imagine something like that. Of you are under
time pressure and just need a quick change of sth., implement the change using the 0.9 stable
version.

If not, I would recommend to review your code and implement a solution that is compatible.
Finally, sooner or later you will need access to your servers and/or clients from other languages,
then you are facing the exact same issue again.

Jens
________________________________
Von: 石孝川
Gesendet: 24.07.2013 09:58
An: jensg@apache.org
Betreff: some questions about commit f509df9c969f71d360e7c1394d0d73cb6ab9955c

Hi Jens,

                This is XiaoChuan Shi, a thrift user from China. I am very sorry for trouble
you. I have a question about you commit https://git-wip-us.apache.org/repos/asf?p=thrift.git;a=commit;h=f509df9c969f71d360e7c1394d0d73cb6ab9955c.
Please give me a few minutes :) Thanks a lot.

                I saw you have replaced byte with sbyte in this commit. But in my scenario
I have to define list<byte> type for a property in thrift file. After generated, the
solution can`t build successed, because the byte type in generated code can`t convert to sbyte.
So I want to know why you replaced byte with sbyte? If I convert back(TProtocol file and related
derived class), Is there any problems?

Thanks
Xiaochuan