thrift-user mailing list archives

From Jens Geyer <jensge...@hotmail.com>
Subject AW: 回复:AW: Datetime data type in Thrift?
Date Sat, 24 Aug 2013 07:08:31 GMT
One more: while I agree with the general usefulness of good standards, I would go against the
( in this case *nix) standard if it makes sense. In the first place, we want performance here.
________________________________
Von: Wilm Schumacher
Gesendet: 23.08.2013 22:59
An: user@thrift.apache.org
Betreff: Re: 回复:AW: Datetime data type in Thrift?

Hi,

at first: I'm new to thrift. Thus I maybe do not understand the design
patterns of thrift and thus cannot understand the problems Ben Craig
pointed out.

However, I want to disagree and would suggest a solution. If a descision
is made, of course I would help to implement. If one complain one have
to make it better ;).

My suggestion: the unix timestamp. It would be a i64 in thrift.

Am 23.08.2013 20:14, schrieb Jens Geyer:
> Agree. A few points again, though.
>
> • double or i64 for the wire format, depending on whats best for the
> majority of languages. Strings or smaller ints are obviously not
> suitable.
well. Long would work.

> • the wire format needs a well-defined null point,
which would be a monday in 1970.

> depending on whats
> best for the majority of languages, so that the need for rebasing a
> timestamp from one system into another can be avoided as much as
> possible
here I would disagree. The thrift community is a community on it's own.
It can make an impact on making the existing and good standard more ...
standard ;).

Every modern operating system is more or less POSIX, and thus has the
"time" function from c (POSIX level 1), thus every language can achieve
the unix timestamp. The rest is a little conversion to the nativ format.

> • interpretation of the timestamp value (utc? time zone offsets?
> summer/winter?) is to be handled by application. That's nothing
> thrift should do.
agreed.

> • how about time spans?
this is a question of application logic, not a problem thrift has to
encounter.

If you have:

struct Example {
        1: i32 id;
        2: datetime start;
        3: datetime end;
};

or

struct Example {
        1: i32 id;
        2: datetime start
        3: datetime duration
};

should be the same for thrift. It's a question of logic in the application.

> • for the reasons above, especially the first two points, I suggest
> that we first try to find out what time system should be used for the
> wire format by collecting the preferred ones for each language
done ;).

And for the thread author: I would go with i64 and just use the time()
function (or equivalent functions) and other related methods.

Best

Wilm

ps: and 2038 it should be changed anyway ;)