thrift-user mailing list archives

From Randy Abernethy <randy.aberne...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: Documentation, differences multithreaded server and non-blocking server
Date Thu, 24 Oct 2013 16:47:32 GMT
Hello Lars,

>From 10,000 feet, the key difference between the Apache Thrift C++
multi-threaded blocking/non-blocking servers is that the blocking servers
create one thread per client connection and the non-blocking servers create
a pool of threads which collectively process client requests (any worker
thread can be dispatched to process any client request). The blocking model
is simpler and has fewer dependencies, the non-blocking model is more
complex and requires libevent, but is more scalable at the extreme because
it doesn't need to create 10,000 threads to manage 10,000 connections.

Happy to go into more detail if you need it.

Regards,
Randy