thrift-user mailing list archives

From Software Dev <static.void....@gmail.com>
Subject Using thrift with a message broker. Why?
Date Thu, 23 Jan 2014 18:28:00 GMT
I've come across some examples of AMQP broker sitting between a client and
service (Thrift). Can someone explain the benefits of this approach as
opposed to just having the client speak directly to the service via the one
of the native thrift transports?

There are two reasons I can think of:

1) Loadbalancing. If we have multiple services as a consumer for a topic,
we essentialy get loadbalancing for free.

2) No need to configure the service endpoints up front. We only need to
write to the broker and not care about which machine, ip, etc can handle
the request.

Neither of which do I find as a compelling reason to add a broker. In use
case 1 we can simply load balance via hardware or HAProxy. Use case two, if
needed, be fixed with some distributed configuration management software
(Zookeeper) where automatic detection is possible.

Can someone please chime in with any input. Thanks