thrift-user mailing list archives

From "henry.jykim@google" <henry.jy...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: any recommendable open-sources for c++ developers
Date Fri, 17 Jan 2014 02:55:21 GMT
how about the performance between them?

Thrift vs ICE. any BMT materials for easy understanding?

Did anyone already test it?

henry.

On Jan 17, 2014, at 5:22 AM, Jens Geyer <jensgeyer@hotmail.com> wrote:

> I doubt that anyone around will give you whatever kind of guarantees.
>
> But I know that we use it successfully for a while now in multiple projects. I also know,
that a lot of the big players use it as well, a few of them are listed on the Apache Thrift
web site. For example, Evernote's public API is based on Thrift.  It is also used successfully
in a number of other Apache projects, e.g. Cassandra and Hbase, to name just two.

> I can only speak for myself, but the simplicity and lightweight elegance of Thrift, yet
powerful and flexible due to it's modular architecture, is something that still fascinates
me. Thrift makes it literally a snap to connect different kinds of platforms and programming
languages, utilizing whatever transport you may wish: be it sockets, pipes, files or HTTP.
Even a message queueing client can be set up quickly to transport Thrift-serialized messages
(see the contrib folder).

> Last not least, compared with last-century techniques like SOAP or even the more modern
REST approach, Thrift is amazingly fast. Sure, it's not the only framework on the market,
but one of the best I know.

> JensG
>

> -----Ursprüngliche Nachricht----- From: henry.jykim@google
> Sent: Thursday, January 16, 2014 2:53 AM
> To: user@thrift.apache.org
> Subject: Re: any recommendable open-sources for c++ developers
>
> before we are going to process, I could get a conviction from yours that the thrift is
already matured library.

> thanks for all your comments.
>
> On Jan 15, 2014, at 1:59 AM, Jens Geyer <jensgeyer@hotmail.com> wrote:
>
>> Amen to the swiss army knife!

are Mac/Windows/C++. It all works very well. We also use C++ Thrift clients and servers within
the client side machines and internally between server components. We even SWIG Thrift-based
client side libraries for use by the server side code. And we also use it to "flatten" structures
into buffers and files.

>> It is easy to write your own transports and protocols as extensions of the originals.
It is easy to modify the code generator.