thrift-user mailing list archives

From "Jens Geyer" <jensge...@hotmail.com>
Subject Re: Visual Studio with C++ client Thrift
Date Sun, 02 Feb 2014 15:21:31 GMT
Hi Vikas,

> trying to write sample app with thrift..

Great! Please have a look at our tutorials and the TestServer/TestClient
implementations of the various languages, this helps you getting started
quickly.

> What are the basic differences between COM and Thrift?

Thrift is lightweight and cross-platform by design. COM is mainly (only?)
used in the Microsoft world, similar to CORBA the initial design goals
focused more on objects (the "O" in both names) rather than general RPC. In
contrast, Thrift is designed to be lightweight and flexible from the
beginning, and the focus lies on connecting languages and platforms with as
less overhead as possible, both vis-√°-vis development and runtime
performance.

Next, with Thrift you do have much more influence on the actual
transports/protocols used (e.g. Sockets, HTTP, Pipes, etc), this is
something COM hides from you very good, especially with cross-machine calls.
As part of the MS ecosystem, COM is well-integrated into Windows' security
concepts - this is not the case with Thrift, and you have to develop a
suitable concept for your service(s) public APIs on your own. Similar to COM
you get a marshalling layer, composed from generated code and the Thrift
library, so you don't have to spend much time with this besides designing
the interface in an easy to learn IDL.

> What are the performance benefits of using thrift vs. COM:
> 1- Impact on binary size

Good question, but less important, honestly. Most the COM infrastructure is
shipped with Windows, and I never felt the need to compared the size of my
binaries. But I can tell, that we just recently trew out a COM interface we
used to connect the .NET part and the Win32 part of an application of ours,
and replaced that interface by a Thrift-based solution, and it was a full
success. If we were faced again with the same decision, we would do it in a
heartbeat.

> 2- Initialization time

Depends on what transport you use. In general, the time needed to initialize
the serevr or client transports properly and maybe start the threadpool (if
used). Did I mention that Thrift is very lightweight?

> 3- Impact to boot time

It's all static code, or static or dynamic libraries linked to your
application, so it does not affect OS boot time. If you mean "load time" of
the application binaries, the impact is less than you probably think.

Have fun,
JensG

-----Urspr√ľngliche Nachricht-----
I am c++ developer using COM for IPC all through out these days.. currently
trying to write sample app with thrift..
What are the basic differences between COM and Thrift?
What are the performance benefits of using thrift vs. COM:
1- Impact on binary size
2- Initialization time
3- Impact to boot time

Thanks,
Vikas| Software Dev Engineer| McAfee Software (India) Pvt. Ltd. | Mobile
Mobile
- +91 9 6633 7 6688

Skype - vikasmca05

Also available on *Tango*,*Viber* and *WhatsApp*
website :www.vikasgomia.blogspot.com