thrift-user mailing list archives

From Ed Judge <ejud...@gmail.com>
Subject static vs dynamic typing
Date Wed, 27 Aug 2014 14:57:40 GMT
I am new to Thrift and I am doing a comparison to Avro and want to truly understand the difference
between static vs dynamic typing.  Thrift I understand uses static typing while Avro uses
dynamic typing.  If I want to do some filtering of some fields at a “source” and won’t
always know the schema until a user configures which fields to pull out, will I need to regenerate
the .thrift file and perform a compilation on it anytime the filtering rules change?  I am
probably not doing a very good job of explaining my question.  Just wondering if Avro or Thrift
are equally suitable when the source schema is unknown.

Thanks,
-Ed