thrift-user mailing list archives

From Stuart Reynolds <stuart.reyno...@gmail.com>
Subject Can separate generated serialization code from generated datatype definitions?
Date Thu, 04 Dec 2014 23:35:21 GMT
I'm starting to use thrift for an existing Java/Scala project to
provide RPC access to a set of services. One notable feature of Thrift
(compared to other serialization frameworks) is that Thrift appears be
responsible, not only for serialization, but also generating the
(server) data structures. In many cases, this makes it difficult to
use with existing methods of serialization, such as hibernate, that
might employ annotation of types. :-(

While there are workarounds - these are a LOT of work for an existing
project and in some cases leads to additionally marshaling from
Thrift's MyObject type to another same-but-different version of the
same type -- its precisely this boilerplate that what I'd like to
avoid by employing automated code generation.

So, is it possible to separate the Thrift-generated serialization code
from the POJO class definition (leaving my to edit those myself)?

I suspect not because its looks like things are required to inherit
from TBase, though I'm not sure how extensive this dependency is.

(Am also looking at Swift, but am concerned about the overheards due
to reflection).

- Stuart