thrift-user mailing list archives

From Randy Abernethy ...@apache.org>
Subject Re: Advice for a possibly unique Thrift build environment?
Date Tue, 23 Jun 2015 19:51:40 GMT
Hi Chris,

I often build Thrift C++ apps on Windows without precompiled libs. The
first time I did it I just added the obvious cpp files from the thrift cpp
lib to my project, built, read through the linker errors, grepped around,
added some more cpp files, and so on. It is pretty easy to pull together
the necessary cpp source for a client, a bit more work for a server but
certainly doable. You learn a lot in the process too. Once you have the
boilerplate list of files you generally depend on it is pretty routine.
Makes debugging easy too, no need to configure debug and release libs,
never any problems with the IDE figuring out where the source is when you
want to step into code, etc. I also found building some dependencies on
windows rough, in particular libevent. It was much easier to just compile
the bits of lib event I needed without trying to make the entire thing
work.

At the end of the day I use static libs most of the time but just want to
let you know that compiling the Thrift sources into your executable
directly is no big hardship on any platform.

Best,
Randy