thrift-user mailing list archives

From Jens Geyer <jensge...@hotmail.com>
Subject AW: THRIFT-3188
Date Thu, 18 Jun 2015 20:03:21 GMT
Hi Jeff,

the phrase "it is a bad idea" can safely be translated to "it will not work". Namespaces in
Thrift are currently limited to one IDL file only, bwcause the compiler handles each file
individually. In some languages files with a predefined name are generated, typically for
constants or the like. If there are multiple NS you get gen- files with different subfolders
and no conflict. But if two IDL files share the same NS stuff gets overwritten because Thrift
does not "remember" which generated file belongs to which IDL file.

Unfortunately I can't think of any place where this is really good documented, that's true.
We probably should change that and make it clear, because it is indeed a FAQ.

Have fun,
JensG

________________________________
Von: Jeff Aronhalt
Gesendet: 17.06.2015 23:01
An: jensgeyer@hotmail.com
Betreff: Re: THRIFT-3188

Hi, Jens.

I'm writing to ask for clarification regarding something you mentioned in a comment in THRIFT-3188.

Is the only reason it's a bad idea "to split one namespace across multiple Thrift IDL files"
because there's no explicit handling in the Thrift compiler for this? As in, is it intended
for namespaces to not be split across files?

Sorry for the redundancy, I just want to clarify this on the behalf of the rest of my engineering
team. We love Thrift!

Regards,

Jeff Aronhalt
Software Engineer