thrift-user mailing list archives

From "David Bennett" <da...@yorkage.com>
Subject RE: Thrift as an in-process server?
Date Tue, 15 Sep 2015 00:03:11 GMT
Thanks for your answer.

Yes, I could see that it must be 'possible' from reading bits of the source code. What I can't
tell is whether it's just a latent possibility lacking some key bits of code, or whether it's
an actual possibility if I only knew how.

Assume (a) a server in either Java or C#. Assume (b) a client in any of Java, C#, C++ or Ruby.
How would you go about 'easily passed to the other side' for some combination of (a) and (b)?

Regards
David M Bennett FACS

Andl - A New Database Language - andl.org

-----Original Message-----
From: Jens Geyer [mailto:jensgeyer@hotmail.com]
Sent: Tuesday, 15 September 2015 7:20 AM
To: user@thrift.apache.org
Subject: Re: Thrift as an in-process server?

> For a mobile or desktop app there is no particular benefit in running
> a socket-based server

Sure. And on top of it, you are by no means bound to sockets. The modular protocol/transport
stack makes it possible, that's one of the really nice things about Thrift.

For example, a stream transport is supported by a number of languages. It basically serializes
and deserializes the data into and from a variable-sized buffer, not much magic behind. The
buffer can be passed easily to the other side, and vice versa.

Have fun,
JensG

-----Urspr√ľngliche Nachricht-----
Is it possible to use Thrift for in-process cross-language marshalling?

For a mobile or desktop app there is no particular benefit in running a socket-based server,
and it's much easier to install and start up an app that makes an in-process call to a dynamic
library.

So is this possible?