thrift-user mailing list archives

From "Jens Geyer" <jensge...@hotmail.com>
Subject Re: Thrift as an API for Andl
Date Tue, 08 Sep 2015 19:24:01 GMT
Hi David,

> Yes, the web site is linked in my footer. Strange how hard it is to see.
> ;-)

What is a footer again?  ;-)

> What I don't know is anything about the culture or philosophy
> of raising issues, the kind of language or repro required,

The ideal case is this: You have identified a problem and an idea for a
patch. If it is s small one, implement it and file a JIRA ticket. Add the PR
or the patch and wait for comments or commits. If nothing happens (which is
sometimes the case), you may want to send a reminder.

If the thing to implement is larger or huge, a PR is better than a patch.
Also, in this case it is a good idea to create the ticket early to inform
people what's going on. If you're lucky, someone volunteers to help you with
reviews etc. At least we know what's going on. When the patch is ready, send
a PR. Get comments, if necessary fix issues and update the PR, until
everybody is happy.

If you only have identified an issue but no fix for some reason (maybe it is
Haskell and your Haskell is not so polished and you don't want to break
anything ...) file a ticket anyways. Make sure the issue is easily
reproducible and clearly described.

> why things are done the way they are when I would do it quite differently

That's a pretty broad question. People do things because they come to some
sort of consensus that the way they are going to use is a good one. That
doesn't mean that there isn't any better, or there may be a better one in
the future. Things change and people are different, you know. I personally
stopped worrying about such things long ago, and Adenauer (a german
chancellor) said it best when he told us "Take people as they are: there
isn't anyone else".

With regard to coding style, a lot of the stuff comes from the origins of
Thrift and it has served us quite well so far.

Last not least you are always free to ask.

> Any others?

A number of Apache projects offer a Thrift API, e.g. HBase. And I'm sure
there are more out there in the wild. A lot more projects use Thrift only
internally.

> Did you know that the community 0.9.1 includes the compiler, but the
> official 0.9.2 does not? It's pretty hard to use without the compiler, but
> I'll put that in the issue.

I'd recommend to file another one for it. That's a different problem.

Have fun,
JensG

-----Urspr√ľngliche Nachricht-----