thrift-user mailing list archives

From Matt Chambers <mvchamb...@me.com>
Subject Re: Does Thrift interoperate with Java beans?
Date Tue, 06 Oct 2015 12:42:30 GMT
I’m confused on what you mean by “bean”.  A bean is just a class with getters/setters
for each property, a no arg constructor, that is serializable.  The thrift generated code
meets #1, and #2, probably not #3 but they are thrift serializable so maybe that can be considered
an equivalent.

What about the thrift generated classes doesn’t work with your code?

-Matt

For client side code I just use the thrift

> On Oct 6, 2015, at 1:37 AM, David Bennett <david@yorkage.com> wrote:
>
> Thanks for all the helpful responses.
>
> I tried to make it clear that what I have is a client-only problem. The server code is
unrelated, not causing any problems and not part of this question. In fact I already have
my own IDL generator, so the Swift-related suggestions are not really all that useful.

> The question is specifically about how well the Java generated code can be made to play
with bean-ish code on the client side. The context is a desktop or thick client app with a
rich Java UI that is built to interact with bean code (which in turn has its own persistence
or serialisation or communication layers), and replacing the lower layers with a Thrift API.
I fear I'm getting pushed into creating a bean for each Thrift struct, along with wrappers
for every ctor, getter and setter, and that's not necessarily a place I'd like to get to.
Since beans are fairly common, I wondered if someone had a better answer.

> Regards
> David M Bennett FACS
>
> Andl - A New Database Language - andl.org

Reynolds
> Sent: Tuesday, 6 October 2015 11:41 AM
> To: user@thrift.apache.org
> Subject: Re: Does Thrift interoperate with Java beans?
>
> Kinda. Sorta.
>
> Vanilla Thrift generates Java data classes that looks pretty beany to me (they have the
standard getters and setters). However, I've always felt that there's a big downside to giving
up control of your server code - not least, you can't add any additional advanced bean annotations
(or any other kind of annotation) to you classes, nor can you directly serialize third party
classes not produced by Thrift.
> This often leads to you wrap the serialization, which kinda defeats many of the benefits
having it automated and had me banging my head on the table in dispair.

> I've since been using Facebook's Swift project. This lets you
> *generate* your thrift IDL from your *existing* server interfaces and bean classes, but
also maintain thirft's extremely efficient serialization (via runtime class generation). The
project has a few design choices I've not a fan of (export classes but not interfaces, has
a HUGE set of dependencies, most unrelated to serialization), but I've made a fork for scala
to allow me to work around the bigger issues. For me, its been hugely efficient at letting
my export any old interface or data structure with no data marshaling steps.

> - Stuart
>

> On Mon, Oct 5, 2015 at 4:37 PM, David Bennett <david@yorkage.com> wrote:
>> I have some lumps of code in different languages that I'd like to get to talk to
each other. The server is OK, but the client code makes heavy use of Java beans.

>> My question, to those who knows a lot more about Java than I do, is whether there
is some clever way to get Thrift and Java beans to play together, or whether this is an invitation
to getter/setter hell?