thrift-user mailing list archives

From Jens Geyer <jensge...@hotmail.com>
Subject AW: Dealing with out of sequence responses
Date Fri, 30 Oct 2015 07:53:20 GMT
The single most important thing that comes to my mind is this: What if the client is aware
of this and *wants* both responses?

If the framework automatically and implicitly drops older requests or refuses to deal with
above Thrift, it is much easier implement whatever model you need.

There are situations for each model, IMHO. If we plan to do anything here, we should add comfort,
but keep all possibilities.

Have fun,
JensG
________________________________
Von: Tyler Treat
Gesendet: 30.10.2015 01:06
An: user@thrift.apache.org
Betreff: Dealing with out of sequence responses

Hi,

I'm curious about Thrift's design around out of sequence responses.
Consider the sequence of events in this contrived example:

Client calls ping()
Server receives ping() and sleeps a few seconds
Client ping() times out
Client calls add()
Server finishes sleeping and responds to ping()
Client gets out of sequence response error (received ping() response when
expecting add() response)

It seems like what Thrift should do is drop responses with previous
sequence ids? I.e. if ping() sequence id is 1 and it times out and I call
add() which expects sequence id 2, I should drop the response with id 1.

Am I thinking about this correctly?

Thanks,
Tyler