thrift-user mailing list archives

From Stuart Reynolds <...@stureynolds.com>
Subject Re: Does Thrift interoperate with Java beans?
Date Tue, 06 Oct 2015 00:41:05 GMT
Kinda. Sorta.

Vanilla Thrift generates Java data classes that looks pretty beany to
me (they have the standard getters and setters). However, I've always
felt that there's a big downside to giving up control of your server
code - not least, you can't add any additional advanced bean
annotations (or any other kind of annotation) to you classes, nor can
you directly serialize third party classes not produced by Thrift.
This often leads to you wrap the serialization, which kinda defeats
many of the benefits having it automated and had me banging my head on
the table in dispair.

I've since been using Facebook's Swift project. This lets you
*generate* your thrift IDL from your *existing* server interfaces and
bean classes, but also maintain thirft's extremely efficient
serialization (via runtime class generation). The project has a few
design choices I've not a fan of (export classes but not interfaces,
has a HUGE set of dependencies, most unrelated to serialization), but
I've made a fork for scala to allow me to work around the bigger
issues. For me, its been hugely efficient at letting my export any old
interface or data structure with no data marshaling steps.

- Stuart

On Mon, Oct 5, 2015 at 4:37 PM, David Bennett <david@yorkage.com> wrote:
> I have some lumps of code in different languages that I'd like to get to talk to each
other. The server is OK, but the client code makes heavy use of Java beans.

> My question, to those who knows a lot more about Java than I do, is whether there is
some clever way to get Thrift and Java beans to play together, or whether this is an invitation
to getter/setter hell?