thrift-user mailing list archives

From Tyler Treat <ttrea...@gmail.com>
Subject Dealing with out of sequence responses
Date Fri, 30 Oct 2015 00:06:37 GMT
Hi,

I'm curious about Thrift's design around out of sequence responses.
Consider the sequence of events in this contrived example:

Client calls ping()
Server receives ping() and sleeps a few seconds
Client ping() times out
Client calls add()
Server finishes sleeping and responds to ping()
Client gets out of sequence response error (received ping() response when
expecting add() response)

It seems like what Thrift should do is drop responses with previous
sequence ids? I.e. if ping() sequence id is 1 and it times out and I call
add() which expects sequence id 2, I should drop the response with id 1.

Am I thinking about this correctly?

Thanks,
Tyler