thrift-user mailing list archives

From Philip Polkovnikov <polkovnikov...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: Major feature suggestion/observation
Date Wed, 07 Oct 2015 09:00:29 GMT
David,

Default codegen solution in C++ world is Boost Karma. Though I'm
unsure if it is OK to make users that would like to compile thrift
compiler set boost up and wait several minutes until thrift compiles.

> Regards
> David M Bennett FACS
>
> Andl - A New Database Language - andl.org

money, but seems to have been silently abandoned 4 years ago. Looks like the guy who tackled
it didn't know enough about template tools to make it happen, despite the best of intentions.

> I didn't find anything else remotely similar, but lots of requests for little tweaks
that would become no-brainers with a template system.

> No. Which issue?

bring them to the same level. Personally, I'm a fan of evolution.

> Agree absolutely. The only way to tackle this kind of transformation is to treat the
existing compiler as the spec and set out to replicate it, to the point of being able to pass
identical regression tests. That works, but it takes a while just to get back where you started.

>> With luck, the initial batch of skeletons could be extracted directly
>> from the existing compiler. It's still a biggish job.
>>
>> [Side digression: for some languages code generation is not really
>> needed. The language has sufficient abstraction capability to
>> implement the IDL directly. Since there are other languages that do
>> not, we are stuck with code generation.]
>>
>> The biggest choice is: which product to use for the code generation?
>> I have a little familiarity with T4 and the ANTLR StringTemplate, and
>> I've hand-rolled a couple of my own but there are heaps of others out
>> there. Maybe it all comes down to what you're used to.
>> I'm not sure I'm quite ready for the investment of time.

> Probably not -- Andl is keeping me busy enough for now. I was kind of hoping someone
with C++/compiler experience could at least nominate a suitable template product. I don't
know one, and a quick look at cpptemplate does not leave me filled with joy. Without this,
it's just far too much work.

many other topics to improve on Thrift has much higher priority than rewriting something we
already have.

> I get that. What Thrift does and what it needs don't really overlap my skill set (or
my interests) all that well, but I will keep an eye out for somewhere I can help.