thrift-user mailing list archives

From "Jens Geyer" <jensge...@hotmail.com>
Subject Re: Major feature suggestion/observation
Date Wed, 07 Oct 2015 19:29:39 GMT
Hi *,

Please, FUP @ dev list. Thank you.

I agree that the existing code generation code has some potential, in many
ways. I even agree that it could be a good idea to rethink some of the
concepts. But the question I raised a few hours earlier (on the dev list)
was precisely targeted at what I think is the key here: How many will it
cost and how much will we really benefit from converting everything into a
template-based generator?

Having a good portion of (production code) experience in both template based
and non-template based codegen worlds, I believe I can speak with enough
authority regarding this whole matter. From my experiences, both ways have
their pros and cons. For simple, example-like stuff, everything is easy,
with or without templates. But in the real world, you will face lots of
special cases making your life harder. The good thing about a code-based
generator is, that there are typically more options to deal with such things
in a performant and convenient way. Trying to express these in a template
language can become a pain very quickly. Templates are as good as the
template language and system reaches. It typically starts to get complex
with things that need to be enumerated and filtered. Bringing loops and
conditions into a template-based engine is a challenging task, this is where
the good, the bad and the ugly start to become separated.

In fact, given a fairly complex project, there is not much difference in
what you do when there is need to add features that are not supported by
your coded generator or template language: You change the implementation.

Just one example, that is still sort of an general issue across all
languages: reserved keywords. Besides the few obvious Thrift IDL related
keywords, each language has its own special set of reserved keywords.
Putting all of them into one single global list that is used by all (!)
languages is something that I don't like very much, yet we still have it in
the Thrift compiler. Furthermore, each language has its own way how to deal
with reserved keywords: Some allow for a prefix like @ or &. We also have
some additional, per-language treatment in the Thrift compiler as well to
deal with these subtleties. Although more to the point in my opinion, these
solutions are by no means perfect either.

Now think about, how a template-based could generator help with that
specific issue? I don't mean the question whether or not it is possible
/somehow/ - it should indeed be sort of a neat and clean solution, a
significant improvement over what we already have.

You may get the impression that I'm against templates, but that's not true,
I am not. Templates are a very powerful tool. But I strongly doubt that
switching Thrift from one to the other just because it is possible will
produce enough net gain to justify the efforts needed. In my humble opinion
we should spent that time and developer-power more wisely.

$0,02,
JensG

-----Urspr√ľngliche Nachricht-----