thrift-user mailing list archives

From "Todd O'Bryan" <toddobr...@gmail.com>
Subject More granular specification of data?
Date Fri, 13 Nov 2015 23:37:22 GMT
Hey all,

Thrift looks really cool, but I'm wondering if it can handle a use case.

Is there any way to specify more specific constraints on data? For example,
say you knew that userId was a string between 8 and 24 characters. Is there
any way to specify that in the data representation? Other examples would be
regexes for strings, or ranges for integers, etc.

I'm guessing this would be really hard to do cross-linguistically, but it
would be really nice to be able to provide clients with code that would
validate their messages before they send them.

Looking around, all I've seen that does this kind of thing are XML Schema
and JSON Schema, and, of course, nobody wants to deal with XML and JSON if
they can avoid it. :-)

Thanks,
Todd