thrift-user mailing list archives

From "j.barrett Strausser" <j.barrett.straus...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: Thrift for usage on mobile clients?
Date Tue, 01 Mar 2016 15:38:54 GMT
1. Clients don't register themselves with a server. Clients make remote
procedure calls to a Server. Sometimes a client can also be a server.

2. I run thrift over 4G with a both the http and socket transport.  I've
not encountered any issues.  I have a custom python transport pool, that
heals itself when the socket is closed. Alternatively, you can create a
transport per request. The overhead is probably low enough for you.

3. I have had issues with large files over Thrift.  Almost everyone will
suggest you use chunked-messages.  I have very large files to upload and I
needed to be friendly on my 4G costs by not sending chunks that had already
been sent so we had to work around that. Agreed that some sort of Rsync
like ability over Thrift would be useful.

4. If using 3G, I assume you *do not* have a static IP on the client side?
I would think about your security model a bit.

-b

-b

--

https://github.com/bearrito