thrift-user mailing list archives

From "Jens Geyer" <jensge...@hotmail.com>
Subject Re: Reusing TProtocol after write error
Date Fri, 11 Mar 2016 20:05:21 GMT

Hi Tyler,

I had the same issue with TJSONProtocol in Delphi (and it probably exists in
C# too which I used as the model). Fortunately I was able to fix that
problem with the context stack, see THRIFT-1473. Since then, I had no
further problems of that kind with it.

HTH,
JensG

-----Urspr√ľngliche Nachricht-----
From: Tyler Treat
Sent: Thursday, March 10, 2016 6:26 PM
To: user@thrift.apache.org
Subject: Reusing TProtocol after write error

I have a case where I would like to reuse a TProtocol instance after a
write/flush error occurs on the protocol.

For example, imagine I have a transport which has a size limit on message
frames, and it returns an error if you exceed that limit. The error is
bubbled up to the user, who is then responsible for making a smaller
request. The problem is that some TProtocols have state associated with
them (e.g. in Go, TJSONProtocol has a write buffer and a parse context), so
after an error they are in an invalid state and subsequent uses of them
produce corrupted data. TBinaryProtocol doesn't seem to have this issue.

My question is: would it be reasonable to expose a method for "resetting" a
TProtocol back to its original state such that it can be safely reused
after a failed write or flush?

Thanks,