thrift-user mailing list archives

From Randy Abernethy <randy.aberne...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: Thrift RPC database query results
Date Mon, 25 Apr 2016 20:37:17 GMT
While I am the largest of thrift fans, it is worth noting that Thrift is
great for RPC, that is to say, creating really fast cross language
microservice interfaces. It is not great for large scale data transfer.
Cassandra was originally built with a Thrift API but moved to CQL and a
native protocol, purpose built for returning large datasets. API
interactions that are characterized by fast, modestly sized transfers work
great with Thrift but transferring anything bigger than a few megs, while
possible, may not be practical or optimal. I think you could say this about
RPC systems in general (protobuf/grpc, MSRPC, RMI, etc.).