thrift-user mailing list archives

From BCG <bgo...@hushmail.com>
Subject Re: How to make a Thrift client for multiple threads?
Date Tue, 07 Jun 2016 16:18:13 GMT
On 06/07/2016 09:51 AM, Matt Chambers wrote:
> There is actually a lot to gain performance wise, depending on how long the call is going
to take it can be 1 or 2 orders of magnitude faster to use thread local connections.  Linux
also tends to get angry if you have thousands of processes opening sockets at a high rate.

> I use boost thread local on the client side, this is pretty much all you need to do:
>
> PlowClient* getClient()
> {
>      static boost::thread_specific_ptr<PlowClient> instance;
>      if(!instance.get())
>      {
>          instance.reset(new PlowClient);
>      }
>      return instance.get();
> }
>
> Then I just have a macro I use everywhere.
>
> #define PLOW_SERVICE plow::v1::getClient()->getService()
>
> For Java, its slightly more complex but I can post an example later.
>
> -Matt

For sure, I didn't mean to suggest that it wouldn't be useful or have
anything to gain... I imagine that pooling will definitely reduce the
number of object allocations and the frequency of garbage collection.  I
just meant that if you look at the implementation of THttpClient in
Java, there's a good chance you'll be establishing a new connection per
request unless you intentionally take steps to configure it otherwise,
which probably would also significant overhead.  I also didn't mean to
suggest that the client, protocol, and transport objects are thread
safe; they are not, so creating new instances or using
ThreadLocal/pooling is necessary.