thrift-user mailing list archives

From Manasi Vartak <mvar...@csail.mit.edu>
Subject thrift-maven-plugin doesn't work with Java 1.8
Date Sat, 11 Feb 2017 19:54:37 GMT
Hi all,

I have some thrift sources that I'm trying to compile with the Apache
thrift-maven-plugin (this
<https://mvnrepository.com/artifact/org.apache.thrift/thrift-maven-plugin>
one). My thrift version is 0.10.0. The plugin's pom.xml sets the source and
target java versions to 1.7. The rest of my code uses Java 1.8 features, so
I need to compile with 1.8.

When I set the java version in my pom.xml to be 1.8, the compiler cannot
find the thrift-generated classes/packages (Error: "package xyz does not
exist") and the build fails. On the other hand, if I compile the project
with Java 1.7, the package error is gone and the compiler complains about
the code using 1.8 features (e.g. lambdas).

I was previously able to compile the code successfully with a different
thrift-maven-plugin but that plugin doesn't work with thrift 0.10.0.

What are ways to work around this? I'm wondering whether to try modify the
dependency's pom.xml. I would like to stick with java 1.8 for my sources.

Thanks!
Manasi