thrift-user mailing list archives

From Mario Emmenlauer <ma...@emmenlauer.de>
Subject boost thread vs std::sthread on MSYS2 and/or MinGW64
Date Sun, 02 Apr 2017 15:07:31 GMT

Dear All,

in the past I've found the one or other recommendation on the web that
thrift should be built with boost threads instead of std::thread on
MSYS2 . One of these sources was the README-MSYS2.md. But I have a hard
time to find a solid statement saying "std::threads can *not* be used",
so its more a hunch than a fact.

I was able to build thrift with std::thread enabled on MSYS2 (which is
currently using MinGW64 gcc 6.3 compiler). Can someone help me out, are
problems to be expected from this combination? Should I indeed prefer
boost threads? I'm mostly interested in a C++ thrift client, not a server.

My application is already using gcc std::threads, and I'd like to avoid
the mix and match. Or is there no reason to be concerned of mixing and
matching threading with boost and std::thread?

All the best,

    Mario Emmenlauer