thrift-user mailing list archives

From Mario Emmenlauer <ma...@emmenlauer.de>
Subject how to handle network downtime gracefully?
Date Mon, 03 Jul 2017 14:51:33 GMT

How can I gracefully handle network problems? In grpc, I used to
create the full interface even if the network was down, and later
when I try to call RPC methods, grpc would hang until it could
connect. That was quite simple, when the network came back the RPC
succeeded eventually.

What is the most graceful way to handle an unreliable network
connection in thrift?

Background:
I'm building a cross platform API with Java server and C++ client
in thrift. I use the binary protocol to send large files. I use two
transport channels, one that uses SSL to send the login credentials,
and a second one that may later be used to send large datasets (after
the login succeeded).

Currently I create the full interface. But if the network is down,
I get an exception somewhere after creating the secure socket, with
error "No more data to read".

All the best,

    Mario Emmenlauer

--
BioDataAnalysis GmbH, Mario Emmenlauer      Tel. Buero: +49-89-74677203
Balanstr. 43                   mailto: memmenlauer * biodataanalysis.de