thrift-user mailing list archives

From "James E. King, III" <jk...@apache.org>
Subject Re: Thrift vs. Protocol Buffers
Date Tue, 20 Feb 2018 20:41:19 GMT
That's an interesting angle; I haven't looked into it though.
It might be possible to use a protobuf protocol layer but you would have to
provide that yourself.

One of the strengths of thrift is that it generates the client and server
code for you, and provides libraries for over 20 languages
that are decently tested against each-other for interoperability.
Last I looked at protobuf it was just a framework for serialization, and
the rest was left to the reader.
Multi-threaded servers are fairly complex machines...

It's all just bytes on a wire; so it should be possible to achieve some
level of interoperability; you will probably run into issues
with things like optional/required/default parameters (if one supports it
and one does not), and thrift service methods
won't translate into protobuf structures.

- Jim