thrift-user mailing list archives

From Dams <d...@nolyann.ch>
Subject Thrift bidirectional communication
Date Sun, 17 Mar 2019 13:07:47 GMT
Hello,

In the enterprise where I work, I evaluated Thrift. I didn’t know it before and am new to
RPC and network contexts. I’m seduced by the quality of its architecture and of the C++
code! Great work!

But we have a special need: not only the client/server communication for a test system, but
also a bidirectional communication, for applications running in the same environment. Thrift
does not provide this second possibility if I’m not wrong. I found this example: https://github.com/JoelPM/BidiThrift described
here: http://joelpm.com/2009/04/03/thrift-bidirectional-async-rpc.html. It is relatively
old: 2009.

My questions:
 * Why doesn’t Thrift provide this possibility of bidirectional communication?
 * What do you think about this example? As far as I can understand, it seems to be well designed.
 * Do you intend to plan such a possibility?

Thanks in advance for your answers.
Dams