thrift-user mailing list archives

From C Bergström <cbergst...@pathscale.com>
Subject Re: Thrift bidirectional communication
Date Sun, 17 Mar 2019 13:12:26 GMT
Hah! I'm in need of exactly this and I may have some working Python
code soon I can share (maybe). To be fair I'm porting really really
messy C# implementation over to Python and the C# version *IS* working
bi-directional. (So it should be possible, right?) By this I mean that
the client logs in and establishes a connection and the local "server"
is able listen and reply using that same connection. (You'd think this
use case of client logging in and stuff would be super common)

I'll watch this thread and post code if nobody else jumps in and gives
more concrete details sooner.

Good luck :D

On Sun, Mar 17, 2019 at 9:08 PM Dams <dams@nolyann.ch> wrote:

> Hello,
>
> In the enterprise where I work, I evaluated Thrift. I didn’t know it before and am
new to RPC and network contexts. I’m seduced by the quality of its architecture and of the
C++ code! Great work!

> But we have a special need: not only the client/server communication for a test system,
but also a bidirectional communication, for applications running in the same environment.
Thrift does not provide this second possibility if I’m not wrong. I found this example:
https://github.com/JoelPM/BidiThrift described here: http://joelpm.com/2009/04/03/thrift-bidirectional-async-rpc.html.
It is relatively old: 2009.