thrift-user mailing list archives

From Dedipyaman Das <2dcodeblo...@gmail.com>
Subject Improving documentation
Date Sun, 27 Sep 2020 14:11:41 GMT
The other day I was discussing with a friend regarding GRPC/Protobuf and
Thrift, and he told me about how the GRPC documentation was much better to
Thrift as a result of him choosing it over Thrift any day.

And I think that's an issue with the current state of Thrift as well, when
I was starting off with Thrift about a year back, it was considerably
harder for me to get started with it than it did for GRPC/Protobuf because
of the state of the documentation.

The documentation in its current state seems disorganized and unwelcoming
for the new user according to me personally, and I think it's the general
consensus as well. Of course, there are independent blogs, ebooks books
etc. on thrift, but I think the official documentation should be a bit more
organized and easy to get used to.

Can we attempt at making a new, more organized attempt at improving the
documentation? I think starting from scratch would be the best at this
point with the aim of making it newbie-friendly documentation with a clear
explanation of the concepts and implementations.

I'd like to volunteer to take this step if more people feel the same way
and willing to help out. Let's make Thrift more newbie-friendly!

Regards,
Dedipyaman
www.twodee.me