tika-dev mailing list archives

From "Rida Benjelloun" <rida.benjell...@doculibre.com>
Subject Re: Tika discussions in Amsterdam
Date Thu, 03 May 2007 14:46:04 GMT
Hello,
Lius is currently under apache licence.  If people are interested on it we
can use it as starting point for the development of tika.
I think that Lius could quickly be adapted to meet all the needs that Jakka
has  mentioned in his email.
Processing phases: Lius makes it possible to detect the mimetype document
but also to extract the contents and the metadata. However we should develop
the extraction of the metadata for Word Excel and PowerPoint, we could use
POI to do this. We can also use one of the mimetype detector that Jukka has
proposed.
Structure plugin: Lius doesn't have plugin architecture, it will be
necessary to develop it . However all the parseurs can be configured using
an XML file
Structured text: lius use JDOM, XPATH and namespaces for the extraction of
structured contents. Sax could be more powerful but does not offer  XPATH
for the extraction of contents. Lius support  opendocument format.
Lius can process ZIP files, mp3 and MPEG.
Actually Lius is  connected to Lucene but could easily adapted for Solr,
UIMA and others.
I think that Tika should also extract outlinks from documents.
If you have have questions about Lius do not hesitate to communicate with
me. The source code is available: http://sourceforge.net/projects/lius/
Best regards.

Rida Benjelloun
ridabenjelloun@apache.org