tika-dev mailing list archives

From "Jukka Zitting" <jukka.zitt...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: [general discussion, moved from TIKA-7]
Date Wed, 13 Jun 2007 15:01:46 GMT
Hi,

On 6/13/07, Chris Mattmann <chris.mattmann@jpl.nasa.gov> wrote:
> I'm not sure I follow you here Jukka. I wasn't saying that we shouldn't have
> code in SVN, simply, that we should properly design the way that the system
> is going to work before we start moving code, "just to have code" within
> SVN.

See my other message on this. I'm a bit concerned about our ability to
have a productive "pure" design discussion without at least some code
to base it on. We've already had a few design threads, but each seems
to have died with no real conclusions. I believe that having some
concrete code that people can play with will have a positive impact
also on higher level discussions.

> I'm fine with having code for Tika, however, we at least need to have:
>
> 1. use cases for Tika (how does a user interact with it?)
> 2. generic interfaces and extension points that will support these use cases
> 3. implementations of those interfaces and concrete classes
>
> We have a few cases for item #1, however, there are no specs for #2 and #3,
> which must come at least during this time when new code is getting attached,
> no?

No. :-) Having a shared area where we can prototype and discuss
alternatives (I regard code as another means of communication) is
quite valuable when coming up with answers to the open design issues.
We can also always refactor, rewrite, or simply dump existing code if
and when needed since we aren't yet making any backwards compatibility
promises.

> From the Tika proposal:
>
> "No existing codebase is selected as "the" starting point of Tika to avoid
> inheriting the world view and design limitations of any single project. "
>
> Am I off base here?

I very much agree with that statement, and I don't think we are
breaking it here. I think it's quite clear to everyone that the code
we have now (and will have for the months to come) is an early draft
that can and will be dropped if needed. I also quite like the way Rida
has started merging code from both Lius and Nutch.

BR,

Jukka Zitting