tika-dev mailing list archives

From Chris Mattmann <chris.mattm...@jpl.nasa.gov>
Subject Re: Java version in Tika
Date Wed, 13 Jun 2007 13:48:30 GMT
Hi Guys,

 I don't have a strong preference for this either way. I simply ported over
the code for the Nutch metadata framework, which happened to use some
features from 1.5. I was a proponent of staying with 1.4 in the Nutch
community, however, was overruled there ;)

 Just to stir the pot a bit, I will say though, that IMHO, Java 1.5 is
entirely stable, has a strong, solid user base, and is becoming pervasive.
It also offers a lot of features that I think are truly useful. Is it too
much to ask of projects like Jackrabbit, etc., for them to create JDK 1.5
builds? I know that this is possible even if the project only uses JDK 1.4
language constructs, right?

 I think we may have to call for a vote on this though. What do others
think?

Thanks!

Cheers,
  Chris