tika-dev mailing list archives

From Chris Mattmann <chris.mattm...@jpl.nasa.gov>
Subject Re: [general discussion, moved from TIKA-7]
Date Sun, 17 Jun 2007 22:31:02 GMT
Hi Jukka,

> Would it work for you if we started a separate sandbox where people
> can put their prototype code up for review? That way we could keep the
> trunk "clean" and only move code there when we have a good consensus
> on the design.

To me, this "sandbox" that you guys are talking about is essentially
equivalent to a JIRA issue, and attaching patch files there. JIRA is a
pretty easy way of sharing code, asking for comments/reviews/updates, etc.,
before it gets into the sources (i.e., the trunk). It also is a way for us
to track design discussions, and tie them to actual contributions into the
sources.

> At least I find it much easier to work on stuff that I can actually
> checkout, build, and track changes on. Also, even though we don't yet
> have the final interfaces and overall architecture in place, once the
> code is in svn we can start parallel efforts in for example comparing
> different parser libraries, setting up test suites, etc.

Sure, I hear ya, and maybe I'm adopting too strict an interpretation of CM.
I'm not against moving forward with the creation of this "sandbox" area, and
certainly not against moving forward with development of code in general for
the project.

I am going to take a look at TIKA-7 today or tomorrow, and I'll get back to
you guys with my comments on it, and perhaps we can talk a bit about the
overall design of the Tika parsing architecture at that time.

Thanks!

Cheers,
  Chris