tika-dev mailing list archives

From "Bertrand Delacretaz" <bdelacre...@codeconsult.ch>
Subject Re: Aperture
Date Tue, 10 Jul 2007 08:07:37 GMT
On 7/2/07, Grant Ingersoll <gsingers@apache.org> wrote:
> ...What do you all make of http://aperture.sourceforge.net/ ?.

I've had a quick look at the license [2] and API.

The API is licensed under Lawrence Rosen's Academic Free License (AFL)
[1], which to my non-lawyer's eye looks a lot like the Apache License.

The implementations (crawlers, extractors, etc), however, are licensed
under the Open Software License [3] which is reciprocal and as such,
IIUC, incompatible with the Apache License.

I think the ExtractorExample [4] looks a lot like what we envision for Tika.

I agree with Grant that it'd be a good idea to talk to the Aperture
people - moving their API here (or incubating an Aperture project if
they want to keep the name) might be good?

The implementations could IMHO stay at Sourceforge if they want to
keep the OSL license for that.

WDYT?

-Bertrand

[1] http://www.rosenlaw.com/AFL3.0.htm