tika-dev mailing list archives

From "Jukka Zitting" <jukka.zitt...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: Tika dependency hell
Date Thu, 23 Aug 2007 12:07:30 GMT
Hi,

On 8/22/07, Sami Siren <ssiren@gmail.com> wrote:
> I know I am not answering your question really, but to get application
> dependencies smaller (in some cases) one could split the code into
> smaller modules (one for each format) so if one only needs parsing for
> word one would depend on a module that provides the functionality (and
> transitive dependencies required) for that format.
>
> iwe could also introduce format-all that aggregates all supported
> formats if that's what user is after.

In principle I'd rather go for a one-size-fits-all solution to
maximize simplicity, but I guess there will be many use cases where a
more trimmed down set of dependencies makes more sense.

Perhaps, as suggested by Bertrand, we should also come up with some
class loading trickery along such module boundaries to better handle
conflicting dependencies etc. Sounds scary though...

BR,

Jukka Zitting