tika-dev mailing list archives

From "Bertrand Delacretaz" <bdelacre...@apache.org>
Subject Re: Tika dependency hell
Date Thu, 23 Aug 2007 07:04:02 GMT

> ....I really
> wouldn't like to start playing class loading games or leveraging
> higher-level stuff like OSGi....

One option might be build-time selection of which dependencies are
included, for example by breaking the code into Maven modules, and
selectively building them using Maven profiles.

Apart from that, I have a feeling that clever classloading might be
required pretty soon: an important goal of Tika (IMHO) is to be able
to reuse the many "format libraries" that are out there, and they
won't change their dependencies for us.

If there was a way to use something like a mini-OSGI internally in
Tika, with little or no impact on the code that uses Tika, that might
be the best option. I don't have a concrete proposal at this point,
though.

-Bertrand