tika-dev mailing list archives

From Chris Mattmann <chris.mattm...@jpl.nasa.gov>
Subject Re: I Would Like to Participate in Tika Development
Date Mon, 10 Sep 2007 16:05:13 GMT
Hi Keith,

 Thanks for your messages. All patches should be associated with a JIRA
issue, that way it's easier for the developers to track them and test/commit
them.

 Thanks for your interest in the project. As for the stuff that IntelliJ
found, try to separate the issues into step-by-step patches, based on need.
If you think that you can fit all the updates that IntelliJ suggest into one
patch, by all means, try, but understand that the developers need to review
the patch, and if it's a 3000 line patch that touches all parts of the code,
it's going to be contributed slower than something that's 100 lines and
touches a few files.

 On the other hand, you could try and separate your patches into categories
(e.g., one that fixes all the OutOfMemory issues, or one that fixes all the
NPEs), and that would probably ensure that they get reviewed faster.

 As for discussion, it's best to discuss all code related issues on
tika-dev. So, please feel free -- that's what it's there for.

Cheers,
  Chris

On 9/10/07 8:51 AM, "kbennett" <kbennett@bbsinc.biz> wrote:

> Bertrand -
>
> Thank you for the response, and sorry for my duplicate send.
>
> So, do all patches need to be associated with a JIRA issue?  I've found a
> couple of little things (well, actually, Intellij Idea found them) --
> redundant assignments, null pointer vulnerabilities, etc.  Would I make a
> general JIRA issue for this and use it on an ongoing basis?
>
> And may I post questions to the list for faster responses, or would you
> prefer that I address questions directly to the author?
>
> - Keith
>

> Bertrand Delacretaz wrote:
>>
>> Hi Keith,
>>
>> Good patches are always appreciated!
>>
>> We don't have written guidelines for contribution yet, but basically
>> contributions are accepted as patches against the current SVN code,
>> attached to JIRA issues.
>>
>> See https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/TIKA-7 for an example of a
>> patch (although it's a much larger patch than what people would
>> usually contribute).
>>
>> The code is at http://svn.apache.org/repos/asf/incubator/tika/trunk -
>> for now I'm afraid you'll have to play with it to figure out what's
>> working or not. And keep in mind that we still haven't figured out
>> exactly which interfaces we'll use, Jukka recently made some proposals
>> that we seem to agree on, but I don't think they've been translated in
>> code yet.
>>
>> Hope this helps, and feel free to ask further questions here.
>> -Bertrand

Chris Mattmann, Ph.D.
Chris.Mattmann@jpl.nasa.gov
Key Staff Member
Modeling and Data Management Systems Section (387)
Data Management Systems and Technologies Group

Office: 171-266B                        Mailstop:  171-246