tika-dev mailing list archives

From Chris Mattmann <chris.mattm...@jpl.nasa.gov>
Subject Re: Java version in Tika
Date Mon, 10 Sep 2007 16:43:09 GMT
Hi Keith,

 I think at this point, it would be a waste of your time to do the work to
convert the code to 1.5. Since it's really a project decision, when the
project is ready to move to 1.5 (which it doesn't seem like it is yet), then
it would probably make sense at that time to do it, rather than to do it
now, and watch your patch widdle away and become out of date with each code
change. So, IMO I wouldn't worry about patching the code to use 1.5...yet :)

 As for the JIRA issue, I think it would be a good idea to track (say, as a
JIRA "task") the desire to move the code to 1.5. Then we (the developers and
community) could vote on the issue, and track it.

 Thanks!

Cheers,
  Chris

On 9/10/07 9:36 AM, "kbennett" <kbennett@bbsinc.biz> wrote:

> All -
>
> My preference would be to go to 1.5, to use generics, simpler loop syntax,
> and other new features, but it sounds like the concensus is to stay
> compatible with 1.4.  If that is the case, would it be helpful for me to
> enter a JIRA issue for this?  And make the source code changes?
>
> - Keith Bennett
>

> Thilo Goetz wrote:
>>
>> Bertrand Delacretaz wrote:

>>> I think it would be wise for the Tika *framework* to work with Java 1.4.
>>>
>>> Specific plugins can require higher versions, but requiring 1.5 for
>>> the framework might be too limiting at the moment.
>>>
>>> -Bertrand
>>
>> I agree.  UIMA is also still on Java 1.4, and I think we'll probably stay
>> there at least for the rest of the year.  So it would be good if the basic
>> framework could work with 1.4.
>>
>> --Thilo

Chris Mattmann, Ph.D.
Chris.Mattmann@jpl.nasa.gov
Key Staff Member
Modeling and Data Management Systems Section (387)
Data Management Systems and Technologies Group

Office: 171-266B                        Mailstop:  171-246