tika-dev mailing list archives

From "Bertrand Delacretaz" <bdelacre...@apache.org>
Subject Do we want @author tags in our code?
Date Thu, 20 Sep 2007 06:16:05 GMT
Hi,

Our codebase, and the https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/TIKA-6
patch contains lots of @author tags, do we really want them?

The general consensus in the ASF projects that I know is to *not* use
those tags, to prevent people from contacting the authors directly for
support (we want questions to go through our lists), and also because
they tend to become stale as the code gets reworked.

The alternative is to acknowledge contributions in commit messages and
change logs.

For larger contributions (like now, the vast majority of our code was
written by Rida Benjelloun), we might create an additional CREDITS.txt
file to make sure those are acknowledged properly. Saying "Rida
contributed most of our initial code in 2007" there stays true
forever, whatever happens to the code.

WDYT?

-Bertrand