tika-dev mailing list archives

From "Keith R. Bennett" <kbenn...@bbsinc.biz>
Subject Re: Becomming a contributor/commiter
Date Tue, 27 Nov 2007 17:04:18 GMT

Briggs -

I have just recently gotten involved in Tika.  It's my first experience
collaborating on an open source project, so I'm not very experienced, but
I'll tell you what I know.

Your participation is valued and appreciated.  The first stage is to be a
contributor.  Over time, as the team gets to know you better and comes to
trust your work, you may be offered committer status (hint: don't ask for it
like I did ;)).

If you have an idea for improvement, you can present the idea on this forum
for discussion.  Based on the results of that discussion, you may want to go
ahead with it, modify your approach, or even abandon it if there is good
reason presented to do so (e.g. "we're throwing that code away next week
anyway").

Then you can post your patch.  You're certainly free to post a patch with
your original message, but waiting until after the discussion may save you
some time.

At some point during this process, you should post a new issue on the Jira
issue tracker (http://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/TIKA).  Be as specific
as possible.  The patch should be attached (uploaded) to that Jira issue.

I don't know if this will affect you, but I found out that Intellij Idea's
patch functionality created a patch that was not exactly the right format.
Instead, I use "svn diff" on the command line, and call it from the root of
the source tree.

Good luck, and thanks.

Regards,
Keith