tika-dev mailing list archives

From "Niall Pemberton" <niall.pember...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: Tika v0.1 thoughts
Date Mon, 19 Nov 2007 02:03:07 GMT
On Nov 19, 2007 1:41 AM, Chris Mattmann <chris.mattmann@jpl.nasa.gov> wrote:
> Hi Jukka,
>
>  I'm in complete agreement with you on this. I'd like to push this release
> out sooner rather than later. I think that the system in its current state
> is highly useful (I'm already targeting its use in 2 projects at my job).
>
>  I'm happy releasing Tika as a jar file (+1) and a related POM. Let's target
> the webapp/Swing GUI/CLI as a 0.2 feature.

Is a "binary only" release acceptable at the ASF? I always thought as
an "open source" organization the minimum requirement for a release
was a source distro from which someone could build it themselves - and
a binary distro was a nice to have convience as an optional extra.

Also the changes for TIKA-101 added in the facility to create source
and binary distros (run "mvn site assembly:assembly") which hopefully
meet the criteria acceptable to the ASF for a release - so it should
be straight forward to do so.

The real issue though is whether the IPMC will accept just a jar as a
release - since as an incubating project Tika can't actually release
anything without their approval. I would be surprised if they didn't
make the same comment as I did.

Niall