tika-dev mailing list archives

From Chris Mattmann <chris.mattm...@jpl.nasa.gov>
Subject Re: Tika v0.1 thoughts
Date Mon, 19 Nov 2007 01:41:54 GMT
Hi Jukka,

 I'm in complete agreement with you on this. I'd like to push this release
out sooner rather than later. I think that the system in its current state
is highly useful (I'm already targeting its use in 2 projects at my job).

 I'm happy releasing Tika as a jar file (+1) and a related POM. Let's target
the webapp/Swing GUI/CLI as a 0.2 feature.

 I can work on the release as soon as I get a go-ahead from the rest of you
guys. Should we call a vote? I think that the only blocker issue is TIKA-91
that needs to be fixed pre-release. The rest of the issues (8 major and 12
minor) are all such that they can be cast for the 0.2 release.

Cheers,
  Chris

On 11/11/07 3:56 PM, "Jukka Zitting" <jukka.zitting@gmail.com> wrote:

> Hi,
>
> I don't think we'll have the 0.1 release out for ApacheCon (it's
> probably even procedurally too late already), but it would still be
> nice to target for a release in a relatively near future. I think
> we're already at a point where quite a few people would find a frozen
> snapshot of Tika useful (even if the API still isn't stable).
>
> There are a number of API and implementation improvements I have in
> mind (I'll try to offload them to Jira), but generally I'm reasonably
> happy with the current state. The main thing I'm worried about is
> packaging (and documentation, but that's not so important yet).
>
> Are we happy with releasing Tika just as a jar file with a related POM
> to be published in the Maven repository, or should we come up with
> some packaging that perhaps bundles also all the dependencies? I'd be
> fine with just a jar artifact unless we want to make Tika runnable
> just by itself (either as a webapp or a CLI application).
>
> BR,
>
> Jukka Zitting

Chris Mattmann, Ph.D.
Chris.Mattmann@jpl.nasa.gov
Cognizant Development Engineer
Early Detection Research Network Project
Office: 171-266B                     Mailstop:  171-246