tika-dev mailing list archives

From Chris Mattmann <chris.mattm...@jpl.nasa.gov>
Subject Re: Tika v0.1 thoughts
Date Mon, 19 Nov 2007 02:50:39 GMT
Niall,

> Is a "binary only" release acceptable at the ASF? I always thought as
> an "open source" organization the minimum requirement for a release
> was a source distro from which someone could build it themselves - and
> a binary distro was a nice to have convience as an optional extra.

 I'm sorry but you misinterpreted my (and also by transitivity Jukka's)
suggestion. By releasing Tika as a "jar file" I didn't mean that the only
visible release of the system will be a "jar file". It simply means that the
build target rather than a deployment bin struct, with say, a directory
layout (e.g., /bin /etc /logs scripts/ conf/), would be a jar file. That's
the only suggestion. The mvn assembly:assembly goal simply builds the jar
deliverable anyways (and packages them up as the "-bin".* files). Of course,
the source code is built as the "-src".* files as well and any release would
have to include src as well.

> The real issue though is whether the IPMC will accept just a jar as a
> release - since as an incubating project Tika can't actually release
> anything without their approval. I would be surprised if they didn't
> make the same comment as I did.

 I'm not too familiar with the Incubator PMC, but people like Jukka, and
Bertrand, who sit on it, I'm guessing are. So we'll see what they think.

Cheers,
  Chris